Friday, April 20, 2012

There Goes The Neighborhood

My wifey and I purchased a house in the Mountain Creek Subdivision. We chose this location because it is close to work, in a nice city schools neighborhood, and a good deal. We really like our new home and are very happy with our purchase. Come visit us, we finally have space!
One of the things that I was most looking forward to was sharing Jesus with our neighbors. Being that I moved to Carrollton knowing no one, and that I work in the church, I know very few people who don't know Jesus. Well, that was until we moved to a new community. One of the first things we did after moving in was to go door to door meeting as many people as we could. We introduced ourselves and got to know something about them. This was semi awkward but we had a goal, to share Jesus, and so it was worth it. After getting to know them, we invited them to our house for a block party. Some were skeptical, others were excited. It was easy to see those who weren't interested, but also equally easy to see those who were looking to make a new friend. Well the day arrived for our party and honestly I was quite skeptical if people would really come hang out. At first, a slow trickle of people flowed onto the property to grab some food and make some friends, but eventually the crowd arrived. With 80+ homes in the subdivision, we had no idea what to expect. 5 people could have shown up, or 200 people. I spent the next could of hours making new friends, serving, shaking hands, smiling, and sharing Jesus. The party was successful, in my eyes and the eyes of my savior.
Now comes the fun part, continually being a good neighbor, being someone to talk to about life, being a smiling face, and hopefully being a safe place to come to know Christ. If you're still reading this, pray for my neighbors to see Nicole and I as a light.

Matthew 5:14-16
The Message
"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing our the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hid you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand - SHINE! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

1 comment:

Kristen B. said...

That is so awesome!!! We will definitely be praying for you guys and your neighbors. Congratulations on your new home and friends!